Okay, so I thought I would continue with the craft theme. Writing consumes a large portion of my time now, but when I’m not pecking or scribbling, I love woodworking and making “man-crafts” like paracord bracelets, wooden (or antler) writing pens, hiking sticks, and I’ve even made a knife. I also do some pencil drawing (usually wildlife), but it’s been a while. However, I am considering taking this back up sometime soon.
My daughter and I share a passion for arts and crafts. Stephanie enjoys making bracelets, earrings, and she’s an accomplished painter. She gladly accompanies me to craft fairs and craft stores. I’m happy that we’ve found some activities we can do together–besides taking her shopping and, consequently, emptying my wallet.
A while back we both dove into a new craft: painting river rocks. And that’s the main subject of this post. The above picture shows the first one I painted (a coral snake) and it’s become my favorite. Be careful and be warned–you just might find this to be an addicting outdoorsey hobby!
Where do you find river rocks?
- Well, a river, of course! But seriously, if you don’t have access to a river or cannot legally rob the river bank, then try your local landscaping store. I tell my store that I want the rocks for crafts, and they give them away for free.
What materials do you need?
- river rocks (relatively flat & smooth)
- acrylic paints
- brushes (don’t get the cheapest kind)
- newspaper (so you don’t ruin your wife’s kitchen table)
- a clear sealant (spray on type)
What are the uses and benefits?
- doing a relaxing activity with your daughter (or son).
- easy cleanup.
- the rocks make great paperweights, doorstops or just nice decoration pieces.
- gifts for all kinds of holidays (Father’s Day is coming up soon)
- sell them at craft fairs or to friends.
- an activity for Scouts, youth group or school.
If you want to learn more about this great craft and get some ideas, I highly recommend Lin Wellford’s book, The Art of Painting Animals on Rocks.
Hope you enjoyed this post! Please share about your creative endeavors. Take this opportunity to comment and to promote your creative projects or activities!