Live prepared—you never know when darkness might find you. As hunters, the pitch-black beckons us in the wee hours of morning and swallows us up at the closing dusk. A good flashlight will guide our steps so we don’t turn or break an ankle, and will reveal our presence to other hunters. Campers cherish a lit trail on their way to the restroom around 3 a.m. Kids enjoy a way to obliterate the boogeyman—or was that Chuck Norris making those mysterious sounds? Whatever its use, you want a light that performs well in outdoor conditions. Here are a few that have pleased me in their performance, quality and brightness:
BuckMasters Packmate by Streamlight
- This flashlight works great for camping, backpacking, day hiking, hunting and fishing.
- It uses Streamlight’s C4 LED technology and produces a very bright beam.
- Although you can’t change the beam focus, you can change the intensity of the light and this can prolong battery life.
- The green light feature allows for better night vision and won’t spook game.
- Comes with 2 lithium batteries.
- Corrosion resistant and O-ring sealed.
- I highly recommend this light for hunters. Comes in regular camo pattern and blaze orange camo pattern. For more specifications please click here: Packmate Flashlight
V2 Dual Color LED by Coast
- I’ve used this flashlight for all types of outdoor activities and scout trips. I’ve owned one for many years, and it’s been a very reliable flashlight.
- It’s not as bright as the Packmate, but produces sufficient light to tame the night.
- Uses 3 AAA batteries and I’ve had to replace them very infrequently.
- Features one red light LED for reading maps and six high intensity white light LEDs.
- The Coast is a little lighter and slightly more compact than the Packmate. Although the specs don’t state it to be water resistant, I notice it is O-ring sealed.
- I recommend the Coast for hiking, backpacking and camping. For more details click on the following link: The Coast V2 Flashlight
Stinger DS LED HP by Streamlight
- This light is great for heavy duty jobs. I work for a utility company and this flashlight comes in handy for patrolling circuits and evaluating storm damage. I can see where it would be useful for search and rescue operations. And it will literally incinerate the boogeyman.
- It’s definitely more than you need for most recreational outdoor activities.
- Built to be shock-proof and very rugged.
- Uses a rechargeable Ni-Cad battery.
- Has dual switch technology. The switches operate independently with 3 brightness settings and a strobe feature.
- O-ring sealed.
- A great flashlight for car camping or on the jobsite. For more details, click on the following link: Stinger DS LED HP
Fuel Headlamp by Princeton Tec
- I’ve tried many headlamps from popular department stores, but I haven’t found them to be very reliable. The Fuel is definitely a higher quality headlamp for the price.
- A great light for hands-free outdoor activities.
- Robust and lightweight.
- Contains four ultra bright LEDs and runs off 3 AAA batteries.
- Offers 3 brightness settings and a strobe function.
- Even while wearing gloves, the large push button switch is easy to operate.
- Nice light for hiking and camping. Also good for hunting and fishing if you need hands-free. Checkout more details at the following link: Fuel Headlamp