Nice weather visited Georgia this weekend. Many are still picking themselves up from the ferocious windstorm that swept through last Monday evening. Since I work for a utility company, you can imagine my week was very busy. So, I gladly welcomed some time to get outside and relax. Saturday, my wife and I decided to grab our Kayaks and do some paddling. The air temperature has to be pretty warm before I dip my toe and sandals into the cool water.
Speaking of sandals, about three years ago, a fishing buddy introduced me to the Keen water sandal. Since I fish from Kayaks and a River Hawk boat, I needed a dependable water shoe. Wading through creeks and walking along boat ramps, I never know what my feet might encounter. That is why I own the Keen Newport sandal with leather uppers. This sandal has far exceeded my expectations. Here are some of the features that standout:
- They are comfortable and durable. The original color has faded slightly, but I haven’t noticed any cracking or deterioration of the leather.
- The rubber outsole offers dependable traction over wet surfaces.
- Keens come with an antimicrobial / antifungal treatment. This eliminates foot odor. I’ve had mine now for three years plus and no odor.
- The sandal closes around the toes, giving welcome protection.
- It fits much like a shoe. Unlike other sandals I’ve tried, it doesn’t feel like it’s about to slip off my foot.
- Washable and waterproof.
It may seem pricey at $95, but I believe them to be well worth the money. Check out the Keen website for more information: http://www.keenfootwear.com/
Let me know what other outdoor gear you’d like to learn more about. My goal here is to mainly share about equipment that I’ve personally used and can vouch for.