Here is a new series on camping tips. I’ve found these to be very useful over the years. I will continue to post this series over time, but please share your camping experiences or advice.
- Safety must come before everything. Take a minute and make a short contingency plan. Who will you call in case of an emergency? Do you have a good first aide kit, and do you know how to use it? Let others know where you are going and when you’ll be back.
- Consider your family and what they enjoy. Will this be a place they like?
- Find a comprehensive camping checklist that compliments the type of camping you are doing. A car camping list will look different than a backpacking list. Remember to check items off as you pack.
- Do your homework and plan your trip thoroughly. Check on applicable fees or reservations. What accommodations does the campsite offer—potable water, showers, bathrooms, fire pits, electricity and grills? Pioneer campsites will offer far less conveniences.
- Plan your camping meals or research nearby restaurants. Look through your camping recipes. Check-out my Base Camp Recipes for some ideas. What camping food does everyone like?
To be continued….